DONATE TO JCE NEWS

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Catholic News World : Tuesday August 9, 2016 - SHARE

2016

#Olympic Gold winner Katie Ledecky says Catholic Faith is Important and prays a Hail Mary before each Race - SHARE

Kathleen Genevieve Ledecky was born March 17, 1997 and is an American competition swimmer, She is a two-time Olympic gold medalist, and nine-time world champion. She is the current world-record holder in the 400-, 800-, and 1,500-meter freestyle (long course). At the 2012 Summer Olympics as a 15-year-old, Ledecky won gold in the 800-meter.. In total, she has won seventeen medals, sixteen golds and one silver and she has broken twelve world records. In 2016, Ledecky was the youngest person on Time magazine's Time 100 list.
In an Interview with the Catholic Standard she explained how Catholic schools helped her. “I attended Catholic schools from pre-K through high school. I attended Little Flower School in Bethesda through 8th grade and then Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart for high school I received an excellent, faith-filled education at both schools. Having the opportunity to attend academically rigorous schools has facilitated my interest in the world and in serving others, and has enriched my life so that it is not solely focused on my swimming and athletics. Nevertheless, going to these schools was important to my swimming – my Catholic schools challenged me, they broadened my perspective and they allowed me to use my mind in ways that take me beyond just thinking about swim practices, swim meets and sports."
 Ledecky was born in Washington, D.C., She is the daughter of Mary Gen (Hagan) and David Ledecky. Her father's ancestry is from Czechoslovakia and her mother is of Irish descent. Ledecky was raised Catholic. Ledecky began swimming at the age of six.
Her godfather, Father Jim Shea, S.J., is a priest. In the Standard she explained, '
“My Catholic faith is very important to me. It always has been and it always will be. It is part of who I am and I feel comfortable practicing my faith. It helps me put things in perspective.” She explained that she prays a Hail Mary before each race. “I do say a prayer – or two – before any race. The Hail Mary is a beautiful prayer and I find that it calms me.” Within the first two days of Olympic swimming competition, Katie Ledecky had already won two medals. In the Video below she talks about faith before the visit of Pope Francis to the States.
SHARE her Amazing Story - maybe you'll inspire another Athlete to Love God!

Novena to Edith Stein - Jewish #Convert and Martyr of #Auschwitz + Novena of the Holy Spirit - SHARE

Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross - formerly Edit Stein
Discalced Carmelite - 1891-1942
Novena to St. Teresa Benedicta
Say 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary and 1 Glory Be each day of the Novena...
Opening prayer:
St. Teresa Benedicta, your hunger for truth and courageous example still inspires us. You spent your life humbly accomplishing great works, focusing your energy into the few minutes allowed for your intellectual work. Look upon your tired and needy sisters and brothers on this earth and pray that we will receive the grace needed each day to make every minute of every day fruitful.
We ask your intercession for (mention your petition here). We place all things upon the altar of God, not knowing how they will be used, and ask for the humility to receive God's grace and to sacrifice willingly for the sake of the Kingdom where we yearn to join you in eternal peace. Amen.


Closing prayer:
Lord God of our fathers, you brought St. Teresa Benedicta to the fullness of the Science of the Cross at the hour of her martyrdom. Fill us with that same knowledge, and through her intercession, allow us always to seek after you, the Supreme Truth, and to remain faithful until death to the covenant of love ratified in the blood of your Son for the salvation of all men and women. Grant this through Christ our Lord, Amen.
Saint Edith, pray for us!

Novena Of  The Holy Spirit
by St. Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein)

Who are you, sweet light, that fills me
And illumines the darkness of my heart?
You lead me like a mother's hand,
And should you let go of me,
I would not know how to take another step.
You are the space
That embraces my being and buries it in yourself.
Away from you it sinks into the abyss
Of nothingness, from which you raised it to the light.
You, nearer to me than I to myself
And more interior than my most interior
And still impalpable and intangible
And beyond any name:
Holy Spirit eternal love!

Are you not the sweet manna
That from the Son's heart
Overflows into my heart,
The food of angels and the blessed?
He who raised himself from death to life,
He has also awakened me to new life
From the sleep of death.
And he gives me new life from day to day,
And at some time his fullness is to stream through me,
Life of your life indeed, you yourself:
Holy Spirit eternal life!


Are you the ray
That flashes down from the eternal Judge's throne
And breaks into the night of the soul
That had never known itself?
Mercifully relentlessly
It penetrates hidden folds.
Alarmed at seeing itself,
The self makes space for holy fear,
The beginning of that wisdom
That comes from on high
And anchors us firmly in the heights,
Your action,
That creates us anew:
Holy Spirit ray that penetrates everything!

Are you the spirit's fullness and the power
By which the Lamb releases the seal
Of God's eternal decree?
Driven by you
The messengers of judgment ride through the world
And separate with a sharp sword
The kingdom of light from the kingdom of night.
Then heaven becomes new and new the earth,
And all finds its proper place
Through your breath:
Holy Spirit victorious power!

Are you the master who builds the eternal cathedral,
Which towers from the earth through the heavens?
Animated by you, the columns are raised high
And stand immovably firm.
Marked with the eternal name of God,
They stretch up to the light,
Bearing the dome,
Which crowns the holy cathedral,
Your work that encircles the world:
Holy Spirit God's molding hand!

Are you the one who created the unclouded mirror
Next to the Almighty's throne,
Like a crystal sea,
In which Divinity lovingly looks at itself?
You bend over the fairest work of your creation,
And radiantly your own gaze
Is illumined in return.
And of all creatures the pure beauty
Is joined in one in the dear form
Of the Virgin, your immaculate bride:
Holy Spirit Creator of all!

Are you the sweet song of love
And of holy awe
That eternally resounds around the triune throne,
That weds in itself the clear chimes of each and every being?
The harmony,
That joins together the members to the Head,
In which each one
Finds the mysterious meaning of his being blessed
And joyously surges forth,
Freely dissolved in your surging:
Holy Spirit eternal jubilation! 




Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein), a convert from Judaism and a Carmelite Nun, was killed in Auschwitz on August 9, 1942.  She was beatified on May 1, 1987, and canonized on October 11, 1998.

#PopeFrancis Prays for Victims of Deadly Attack in Pakistan

(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis has sent his condolences after the attack on the hospital in Quetta, Pakistan, which killed over 70 people.
The majority of the victims were lawyers who had gathered to mourn the assassination of the president of the Baluchistan Bar Association, Bilal Anwar Kasi, who was killed earlier in the day.
The telegram sent by the Vatican Secretary of State, Cardinal Pietro Parolin reads:
Deeply saddened to learn of the loss of life following the attack on a hospital in Quetta, His Holiness Pope Francis sends heartfelt condolences to the relatives of the deceased, to the authorities and to the entire nation, as he offers the assurance of his prayers for the many injured victims of this senseless and brutal act of violence.  Upon all who mourn and upon all who have been affected by this tragedy, His Holiness invokes the divine gifts of consolation and strength.                                                                                                             Cardinal Pietro Parolin                                                                                                              Secretary of State

#BreakingNews 40 Killed in by Storms in Mexico - many Missing - Please PRAY

Puebla (Agenzia Fides) - The water due to the heavy rain that devastated Huauchinango, Puebla because of the cyclone "Earl" and "Javier" last weekend is what should fall in a month. This tropical storm also caused more than 40 deaths and Veracruz and Puebla are the most affected areas.
"It is sad to hear that when these tragedies happen there are many victims, and I pray for the families where there have been landslides. I heard about what happened in the community in Temazolapa and Tetelcingo thanks to father Crisoforo Hernandez who is there", said His Exc. Mgr. Porfirio Eduardo Patiño Leal, Bishop of the diocese of Cordoba. The Bishop informed that the diocesan Caritas has intervened to give its necessary aid.
While the Archbishop of Puebla, Mgr. Víctor Sánchez Espinosa, complained that after Tropical Storm Earl in Huauchinango there are still dead and missing, there is also a group of people who fled from the area because was completely flooded in particularly in the Sierra Norte de Puebla. The Bishop reported that the priests in the north of the state say that the rains are intense and continued until Sunday evening; In addition there have been several landslides on highways and other routes. All priests were already informed to accommodate the homeless also in churches:
"I hope that God will help these brothers so that with a little less rain we can bring help. All measures should be taken, too much water is falling in Sierra Norte", he said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 09/08/2016)S
Pope Francis sent a  telegramme : In the face of the grave damage caused by the hurricane which affected several areas of the country – causing numerous victims and extensive material damage – the Holy Father expresses his affection for the beloved Mexican people, offering his prayers for those who lost their lives and desiring to show his closeness to their families and the victims. At the same time, His Holiness asks the Lord to sustain the will of the authorities and people of Mexico and to awaken in all a spirit of solidarity. He also imparts his Apostolic Blessing. Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Secretary of State of His Holiness

Today's Mass Readings and Video : Tues. August 9, 2016


Tuesday of the Nineteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 414


Reading 1EZ 2:8—3:4

The Lord GOD said to me:
As for you, son of man, obey me when I speak to you:
be not rebellious like this house of rebellion,
but open your mouth and eat what I shall give you.

It was then I saw a hand stretched out to me,
in which was a written scroll which he unrolled before me.
It was covered with writing front and back,
and written on it was:
Lamentation and wailing and woe!

He said to me: Son of man, eat what is before you;
eat this scroll, then go, speak to the house of Israel.
So I opened my mouth and he gave me the scroll to eat.
Son of man, he then said to me,
feed your belly and fill your stomach
with this scroll I am giving you.
I ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth.
He said: Son of man, go now to the house of Israel,
and speak my words to them.

Responsorial PsalmPS 119:14, 24, 72, 103, 111, 131

R. (103a) How sweet to my taste is your promise!
In the way of your decrees I rejoice,
as much as in all riches.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
Yes, your decrees are my delight;
they are my counselors.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
The law of your mouth is to me more precious
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
How sweet to my palate are your promises,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
Your decrees are my inheritance forever;
the joy of my heart they are.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
I gasp with open mouth,
in my yearning for your commands.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!

AlleluiaMT 11:29AB

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GospelMT 18:1-5, 10, 12-14

The disciples approached Jesus and said,
“Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?”
He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said,
“Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children,
you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever becomes humble like this child
is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.
And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
for I say to you that their angels in heaven
always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.
What is your opinion?
If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray,
will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills
and go in search of the stray?
And if he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it
than over the ninety-nine that did not stray.
In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father
that one of these little ones be lost.”

RIP Christian Family of 5 Killed in Murder-Suicide by Parent after Stressful Transplant

 A family of 5 were killed in a murder-suicide. A family member called Police on Saturday, August 6, 2016, after Megan Short missed a lunch. Police found the bodies of Megan and Mark Short in the living room with 8-year-old Liana, 5-year-old Mark Jr. and 2-year-old Willow. They all died of gunshot wounds and a handgun was found. A handwritten "murder/suicide" note was also found. Police noted that even the family dog was killed. In  May 2014, the youngest child Willow Short  received a life-saving heart transplant. This was followed by daily doses of a drug to keep her body from rejecting the transplanted heart. Their struggles were featured national news stories. "Nothing can explain the overwhelming anxiety I had bringing her home..." Megan said in an April 2016 blog post. Later she wrote, "With time, things got easier. I became more confident with the medical aspect of caring for her, but the trauma is something that never goes away."  It's not clear whether Mark or Megan Short pulled the trigger. Police have called this a "tragic domestic incident."  Police explained there had been "domestic issues" between Megan and Mark Short. 

Saint August 9 : St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross : #EdithStein : #Jewish #convert




Edith Stein was born in Breslau on 12 October 1891, the youngest of 11, as her family were celebrating Yom Kippur, that most important Jewish festival, the Feast of Atonement. "More than anything else, this helped make the youngest child very precious to her mother." Being born on this day was like a foreshadowing to Edith, a future Carmelite nun.
Edith's father, who ran a timber business, died when she had only just turned two. Her mother, a very devout, hard-working, strong-willed and truly wonderful woman, now had to fend for herself and to look after the family and their large business. However, she did not succeed in keeping up a living faith in her children. Edith lost her faith in God. "I  consciously decided, of my own volition, to give up praying," she said.
In 1913, Edith Stein transferred to G6ttingen University, to study under the mentorship of Edmund Husserl. She became his pupil and teaching assistant, and he later tutored her for a doctorate. At the time, anyone who was interested in philosophy was fascinated by Husserl's new view of reality, whereby the world as we perceive it does not merely exist in a Kantian way, in our subjective perception. His pupils saw his philosophy as a return to objects: "back to things". Husserl's phenomenology unwittingly led many of his pupils to the Christian faith. In G6ttingen Edith Stein also met the philosopher Max Scheler, who directed her attention to Roman Catholicism. Nevertheless, she did not neglect her "bread-and-butter" studies and passed her degree with distinction in January 1915, though she did not follow it up with teacher training.
In 1916, she followed Husserl as his assistant to the German city of Freiburg, where she passed her doctorate summa cum laude (with the utmost distinction) in 1917, after writing a thesis on "The Problem of Empathy."
Edith Stein had been good friends with Husserl's Göttingen assistant, Adolf Reinach, and his wife.
When Reinach fell in Flanders in November 1917, Edith went to Göttingen to visit his widow. The Reinachs had converted to Protestantism. Edith felt uneasy about meeting the young widow at first, but was surprised when she actually met with a woman of faith.
Later, she wrote: "Things were in God's plan which I had not planned at all. I am coming to the living faith and conviction that - from God's point of view - there is no chance and that the whole of my life, down to every detail, has been mapped out in God's divine providence and makes complete and perfect sense in God's all-seeing eyes."
. One evening Edith picked up an autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila and read this book all night. "When I had finished the book, I said to myself: This is the truth." Later, looking back on her life, she wrote: "My longing for truth was a single prayer."
On 1 January 1922 Edith Stein was baptized. It was the Feast of the Circumcision of Jesus, when Jesus entered into the covenant of Abraham. Edith Stein stood by the baptismal font, wearing Hedwig  Conrad-Martius' white wedding cloak. Hedwig washer godmother. "I had given up practising my Jewish religion when I was a 14-year-old girl and did not begin to feel Jewish again until I had returned to God."
After her conversion she went straight to Breslau: "Mother," she said, "I am a Catholic." The two women cried. Hedwig Conrad Martius wrote: "Behold, two Israelites indeed, in whom is no deceit!" (cf. John 1:47).
Immediately after her conversion she wanted to join a Carmelite convent.
In 1933 darkness broke out over Germany. "I had heard of severe measures against Jews before. But now it dawned on me that God had laid his hand heavily on His people, and that the destiny of these people would also be mine." The Aryan Law of the Nazis made it impossible for Edith Stein to continue teaching. "If I can't go on here, then there are no longer any opportunities for me in Germany," she wrote; "I had become a stranger in the world."
The Arch-Abbot of Beuron, Walzer, now no longer stopped her from entering a Carmelite convent. While in Speyer, she had already taken a vow of poverty, chastity and obedience. In 1933 she met with the prioress of the Carmelite Convent in Cologne. "Human activities cannot help us, but only the suffering of Christ. It is my desire to share in it."
Edith Stein went to Breslau for the last time, to say good-bye to her mother and her family. Her last day at home was her birthday, 12 October, which was also the last day of the Feast of Tabernacles. Edith went to the synagogue with her mother. It was a hard day for the two women. "Why did you get to know it [Christianity]?" her mother asked, "I don't want to say anything against him. He may have been a very good person. But why did he make himself God?" Edith's mother cried. The following day Edith was on the train to Cologne. "I did not feel any passionate joy. What I had just experienced was too terrible. But I felt a profound peace - in the safe haven of God's will." From now on she wrote to her mother every week, though she never received any replies. Instead, her sister Rosa sent her news from Breslau.
Edith joined the Carmelite Convent of Cologne on 14 October, and her investiture took place on 15 April, 1934. The mass was celebrated by the Arch-Abbot of Beuron. Edith Stein was now known as Sister Teresia Benedicta a Cruce - Teresa, Blessed of the Cross.
When she made her eternal profession on 21 April 1938, she had the words of St. John of the Cross printed on her devotional picture: "Henceforth my only vocation is to love." Her final work was to be devoted to this author.
On 9 November 1938 the anti-Semitism of the Nazis became apparent to the whole world.
Edith Stein was arrested by the Gestapo on 2 August 1942, while she was in the chapel with the other sisters. She was to report within five minutes, together with her sister Rosa, who had also converted and was serving at the Echt Convent. Her last words to be heard in Echt were addressed to Rosa: "Come, we are going for our people."
Together with many other Jewish Christians, the two women were taken to a transit camp in Amersfoort and then to Westerbork. This was an act of retaliation against the letter of protest written by the Dutch Roman Catholic Bishops against the pogroms and deportations of Jews. Edith commented, "I never knew that people could be like this, neither did I know that my brothers and sisters would have to suffer like this. ... I pray for them every hour. Will God hear my prayers? He will certainly hear them in their distress." Prof. Jan Nota, who was greatly attached to her, wrote later: "She is a witness to God's presence in a world where God is absent."
On 7 August, early in the morning, 987 Jews were deported to Auschwitz. It was probably on 9 August that Sister Teresia Benedicta a Cruce, her sister and many other of her people were gassed.
When Edith Stein was beatified in Cologne on 1 May 1987, the Church honoured "a daughter of Israel", as Pope John Paul II put it, who, as a Catholic during Nazi persecution, remained faithful to the crucified Lord Jesus Christ and, as a Jew, to her people in loving faithfulness."
EDITED FROM www.vatican.va

No comments: